The Importance Of Sun Protection After Facial Rejuvenation Treatments
The Importance Of Sun Protection After Facial Rejuvenation Treatments
Whether you’ve opted for a facial rejuvenation treatment to tighten and lift loose, sagging skin, eliminate stubborn pockets of fat that won’t budge with diet and exercise or reverse common signs of ageing, being diligent with your post-procedure care will make a huge difference in helping you achieve the best aesthetic outcome. In this blog, we’ll unpack the imminent and long-term side effects of sun damage, highlight the importance of sun and skin protection following your facial skin rejuvenation treatment and uncover how to best care for your complexion after leaving one of Elite Body Contouring’s clinics.
Understanding sun damage and how it impacts the skin
Even if it’s an overcast or rainy day, sunscreen is an unmissable step in every well-rounded skin care routine. Without the regular application of SPF, short or long-term exposure to harsh UV rays can lead to various skin concerns and conditions, including:
- Sunburn — When the skin is exposed to excessive UV radiation, it can become red, swollen and painful — this condition is known as sunburn and occurs when the skin is unable to repair the damage caused by the sun’s vicious rays.
- Premature signs of ageing — The regular application of SPF throughout the day is one of the most fool-proof ways to avoid sun damage and prolong the natural ageing process. UV damage causes the skin’s natural collagen and elastin fibres to weaken, which results in the formation of fine lines, wrinkles and age spots. Not even a well-rounded skin care or after-sun protection routine can truly reverse this long-term damage, so it’s important to wear a hat, sunscreen and sunglasses consistently.
- Skin cancer — Exposure to UV radiation is a major risk factor for skin cancer. The two most common types of skin cancer are basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, both caused by long-term sun exposure and damage.
- Hyperpigmentation — Sun damage increases the body’s melanin production, which gives the skin its colouring. Overexposure to UV rays can lead to hyperpigmentation, characterised by dark spots or patches on the skin.
- Dryness and dehydration — Sunlight absorbs moisture from the skin while UV radiation damages the skin’s stratum corneum — commonly known as the skin’s natural barrier function. Over time, the skin becomes dehydrated, which leads to rough, flaky dryness.
To protect your skin from sun damage, it’s essential to use sunscreen with a high SPF, wear protective clothing and hats and avoid prolonged exposure to the sun, especially during peak hours. If you notice any changes in your skin, such as new moles or pigmentation, or you have a family history of skin cancer, it’s important to see a dermatologist for regular skin care checks.
How facial rejuvenation treatments make your skin more susceptible to sun damage
At Elite Body Contouring, we offer a range of results-driven facial skin rejuvenation treatments designed to soften wrinkles, plump fine lines, lift and tighten the skin, reduce skin sagging and supercharge collagen and elastin production to support healthy ageing.
While our treatments are non-invasive, non-surgical and relatively pain-free, they target and penetrate the skin’s deepest layers, leaving it more vulnerable and susceptible to sun damage. Sun protection after a facial rejuvenation treatment is fundamental to helping you achieve the best aesthetic outcome — and you should follow our aftercare tips closely. Depending on what treatment you select, you can expect the following aftercare procedures:
- ULTRAcel™ HIFU Non-Surgical Facelift
High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound uses innovative technology to deliver heat energy to the skin and subcutaneous tissue. This quick and easy treatment helps to tighten, sculpt, rejuvenate and define the skin around the face and neck while boosting collagen and elastin production, causing the skin to look and feel firmer, smoother and younger than ever before.
Although this treatment provides a natural lifting and sculpting effect for both the face and chin, following our aftercare instructions will reduce the risk of complications and prolong your results.
After each treatment, sun protection is non-negotiable. You should avoid exposing your skin to direct sunlight for at least two weeks — any sunburn or damage can cause the formation of hyperpigmentation, which impacts the results. Throughout your course of treatment, you should be regularly applying and reapplying SPF every three to four hours.
- PowerShape™ RF skin tightening
Using Advanced Radio Frequency (RF) energy waves to heat the deepest layer of the dermis to stimulate collagen and elastin production, this treatment tightens the skin, eliminates stubborn pockets of fat and reduces the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, enlarged pores and uneven texture.
As it is one of the safest non-invasive facial skin rejuvenation treatments on the market, no downtime, anaesthesia or pain medication is needed throughout the procedure — however, for the best outcome, you must follow the aftercare tips provided during your consultation.
Along with drinking plenty of water so the body can dispose of the fat cells, we encourage all of our patients to avoid direct exposure to the sun while the skin undergoes its natural healing process — this usually takes around two weeks. You should wear at least SPF 30 daily and avoid hot baths or steam rooms for 24 hours post-treatment.
Permanently reducing 20 to 40% of the stubborn fat cells contained within the double chin area, this treatment uses Cryolipolysis technology to reduce the appearance of a sagging chin. Before your initial or follow-up treatment, you’ll need to avoid sun exposure for at least 48 hours — we cannot treat burnt skin as it’s more susceptible to damage.
Following your fat-freezing session, the skin will need time to heal from the inside out, so you should also avoid exposure to UV rays for at least two weeks post-treatment. Always apply SPF, and don’t forget to wear a wide-brimmed hat when the weather heats up.
Sun protection — helping you achieve the best facial rejuvenation treatment results
To achieve the best results, the importance of sun protection after a facial rejuvenation treatment cannot be stressed enough. We don’t want our patients to experience adverse side effects or be left with discolouration, wrinkles, dullness or scarring — that’s why it’s critical to practise after-sun protection following your skin care or facial rejuvenation treatment.
From wearing broad-spectrum sunscreen to avoiding peak sun hours (10 am to 2 pm) and wearing clothing that provides skin protection, avoiding exposure to dangerous UVA and UVB rays will help prevent complications down the line and prolong your treatment results.
Ready to get started and reverse signs of ageing? Book your complimentary consultation with our expert medical team online today and review our before and after photos to see what’s possible with a facial rejuvenation treatment from Elite Body Contouring.